Visian Implantable Collamer Lens
Serving patients in San Diego and Oceanside
The Visian ICL (implantable collamer lens) is a vision correction option for individuals with moderate to severe nearsightedness. Trusted by athletes, celebrities and military personnel, the FDA-approved Visian ICL has helped nearly half a million people enjoy clearer, high-definition vision without the hassle of eyeglasses or removable contact lenses. The Visian ICL is just one of many vision correction options available at San Diego Eye Care Center.
About the Visian ICL
Composed of a soft, biocompatible collagen copolymer material, the Visian ICL is designed for people between the ages of 21 and 45 with moderate to severe nearsightedness. The flexible lens is implanted in the eye, but it is not obtrusive and does not alter the shape of the cornea in any way, and our doctors can remove it if needed. You cannot see or feel the lens in your eye, and it does not require any maintenance.
How is the Visian ICL Placed?
The Visian placement procedure is brief, painless and performed at one of our outpatient surgery centers. You will remain awake during the procedure and be given a mild sedative to alleviate any anxiety, and numbing eye drops to minimize discomfort. Dr. Mellgren will use a laser to make a very small surgical incision in your eye, and insert the folded Visian ICL through the opening. It is positioned behind the iris (the colored part of your eye), where it becomes invisible.
After placement, the lens stays in place by itself. It won’t shift around or interact with any of your eye’s structures. You should notice an immediate improvement in your vision. The Visian ICL has a satisfaction rate of over 99 percent.
Advantages of the Visian ICL
There are many advantages of the Visian ICL, including the following:
- Offers immediate vision-enhancement results
- Placement procedure is quick and painless and does not require significant downtime
- A great alternative for patients that do not qualify for laser vision correction with LASIK because they have thin corneas
- Designed for permanent results, but can be removed or replaced if necessary
- Implantation will not affect the natural corneal tissue
- Helpful if you need to have future vision treatments (such as cataract surgery, as many people do)
- Does not interfere with the structure of the eye
- Offers built-in protection from harmful UVA and UVB rays, possibly preventing the onset of UV-related eye disorders
- No daily maintenance required (unlike contact lenses)
- You don’t have to worry about cleaning or caring for the lenses
- Won’t prevent you from swimming, playing sports or enjoying an otherwise active lifestyle (unlike eyeglasses)
Contact San Diego Eye Care Center
To learn more about the Visian ICL and determine whether you qualify for the nearsightedness treatment, please contact our team at San Diego Eye Care Center. Our doctors can conduct a vision consultation to determine whether it is right for your vision correction needs. Call us at (760) 757-1144 today to make an appointment.